The Extreme Precision Radial Velocity (EPRV) 5 Conference took place March 27 - 30, 2023 in Santa Barbara, California
Since the previous meeting was held in 2019, a new generation of Extreme Precision RV instruments has been deployed at sites around the world. Dedicated solar telescopes have provided new insights into the variability of Sun-like stars and an increased use of machine-learning-based data analysis has pushed RV planet sensitivity to new heights. As many of these advancements happened during the pandemic, the EPRV community has not yet had a chance to come together and discuss the implications of our successes and failures, and what they mean for overcoming the remaining obstacles on the road towards Earth-analog sensitivity.
EPRV 5 provided an opportunity to discuss key technical and scientific issues after a gap of four years since the last comparable meeting. The conference featured talks from all major instrument and data analysis teams, to ensure that the community is aware of what each independent node is working towards and what challenges they are facing. We invited representatives from stellar physics and heliophysics to increase the knowledge transfer between our fields and to hopefully spark new, cross disciplinary collaborations. A primary objective of the meeting agenda will be to allow ample time for discussion both during and after talk sessions, so that participants can engage in the level of detailed conversation that has made previous iterations such a boon to the field.
This is a hybrid conference and we will do our best to accommodate our remote attendees. For remote attendees, we will stream the conference live and have a Slack channel for remote questions that we will try to answer during the live talks and the conversation can also continue on Slack. Additionally, we will make recordings of the presentations available following the conference with the permission of each presenter.
Questions: email us at eprv5 [at] lists.astro.caltech.edu
The list of registrants is available upon request.
Videos of the EPRV 5 presentations are available on the EPRV Conferences YouTube channel.
(click to download full resolution version)
February 16: hotel reservation deadline to receive special rate (extended from the original February 9 deadline)
February 17: Early registration deadline and deadline for abstract submissions for Posters
March 10th : Deadline for applying to host EPRV 6
- If you and your institution are interested in hosting EPRV 6, please fill out this Google form. Your application will be reviewed by the SOC and you will be invited to discuss the meeting details with the SOC during EPRV 5. Conference applications submitted before March 10, 2023 will receive full consideration.
The EPRV 5 Science Organizing Committee includes:
Co-chairs: Jennifer Burt [JPL / ExEP] & BJ Fulton [IPAC]
- Oscar Barragan [Oxford University]
- Megan Bedell [Flatiron Institute]
- Heather Cegla [Univ. of Warwick]
- Abhijit Chakraborty [Physical Research Laboratory]
- Gaspare lo Curto [ESO]
- Xavier Dumusque [Univ. of Geneva]
- Dawn Gelino [IPAC]
- Nathan Hara [Univ. of Geneva]
- Teruyuki Hirano [NAOJ]
- Andrew Howard [CalTech]
- Francesco Pepe [Univ. of Geneva]
- Paul Robertson [UC Irvine]
- Andreas Seifahrt [Univ. of Chicago]
- Sam Thompson [Cambridge University]
- Sharon Xuesong Wang [Tsinghua University]
- Jason Wright [Penn. State University]
- Lily Zhao [Flatiron Institute]
Questions about the conference can be sent to the chairs using : eprv5 [at] lists.astro.caltech.edu